If You Have a Startup, You Must Have A Properly Utilized Blog - InformationWeek

InformationWeek is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them.Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

IoT
IoT
Infrastructure // PC & Servers
Commentary
2/6/2009
09:07 PM
Allen Stern
Allen Stern
Commentary
50%
50%

If You Have a Startup, You Must Have A Properly Utilized Blog

Last night I spoke at the Ultra Light Startups event in NYC. The majority of the time was spent offering some suggestions to the entrepreneurs in the room about how they can improve their startups. One of my top suggestions is to make sure you have a blog.

Last night I spoke at the Ultra Light Startups event in NYC. The majority of the time was spent offering some suggestions to the entrepreneurs in the room about how they can improve their startups. One of my top suggestions is to make sure you have a blog.It seems today that having a blog for your startup is common sense, but so many startups I review and/or speak with don't have one. Many startups that have blogs aren't using them effectively. There are two main reasons effectively utilizing a blog will help your startup.

First, I believe the right mix for a startup blog is 80/20. This means that 80% of the time you should be discussing topics related to the industry your startup is in. The other 20% you can talk about news related to your startup. This mix will help to establish, over time, you (and your other team members) as experts in the industry you serve. The more content you write outside of your startup news, the more likely that content will be shared across the Web. And, naturally, the more that content is shared, the more new eyes you'll have on your startup. In addition, all of the juicy industry-based content will rank in the search engines, which will drive organic search traffic to your site.

Think about your blog as your absolute best (and free) marketing tool. It could even help replace some of your paid search engine marketing campaigns.

The second reason is that by posting a good mix of content, you will get people to sign up to be notified when there is new content. In most cases, people won't buy the first time they visit your startup. But if you can get them hooked into your blog, they'll keep your brand top of mind and over time they just might convert into paying customers. Make sure it's easy for people to subscribe to your content in as many ways as possible. On my startup, most of our readers are consuming our blog content via our e-mail subscription service.

While it's not a guarantee of a future sale, a blog offers you a better chance than if you don't have one.

We welcome your comments on this topic on our social media channels, or [contact us directly] with questions about the site.
Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Commentary
2021 Outlook: Tackling Cloud Transformation Choices
Joao-Pierre S. Ruth, Senior Writer,  1/4/2021
News
Enterprise IT Leaders Face Two Paths to AI
Jessica Davis, Senior Editor, Enterprise Apps,  12/23/2020
Slideshows
10 IT Trends to Watch for in 2021
Cynthia Harvey, Freelance Journalist, InformationWeek,  12/22/2020
White Papers
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
Video
Current Issue
2021 Top Enterprise IT Trends
We've identified the key trends that are poised to impact the IT landscape in 2021. Find out why they're important and how they will affect you.
Slideshows
Flash Poll